19.6.04

Recent email dialogue between me and Jeff:

Jeff's initial question:
Tell me if I should feel bad. I was at Mcdonalds for breakfast. And
my food cost 3.67, so I gave the guy 10.67. But he thought I gave him 20.67
and gave me 17.00 back. I was like "wtf?!?!?!". But I didn't say that. I
just took my change and left. Think about your answer. Be specific with your
examples. This is for a grade.

My response:
McDonald's is a huge corporation that can't possibly be hurt by the loss of
ten bucks and an egg mcmuffin. They hire undereducated people and exploit them
by paying them minimum wage and providing nigh-insufferable woring conditions;
by doing this, they are in a way just begging for a lawsuit. If I were you, I'd
feel proud that you caused so little a stir in the fast-food industry. Just be
glad you didn't get a chicken foot in your hash browns.

Jeff's rebuttal:
Partial credit. The question was not concering what kind of company McDonalds
is (McDonalds is a "tasty" company by the way). You failed to address the
question of my personal moral situation. Does what I did equal stealing? How
and why does it matter who I took the money from? If it is something to be
proud of, where do I draw the line? In this case it was $10, but should I have
accepted $100 extra change? $10000? Should I have reached behind the counter,
snatched as much cash as I could, and run? Suppose McDonalds was running an
audit and discovered that money was missing, and then held one of the
"undereducated" employees responsible, and then fired him. Being
undereducated, he is unable to find work anywhere else and can't afford to feed
his family. What about my personal principles? Even if nobody was hurt by me
taking $10, how does the fact that I took something that was not rightfully or
lawfully mine reflect on my chracter. What about my motives?

...

ha, haha.

No comments: