7.4.05

oh noes!!
Somebody has figured out that our dryers in mccarty give us 80 minutes if you push the button twice in rapid succession. now they are down to 60. (at least the one I was using tonight.) THE HORROR.

My roommate and I went to the orientation for working at Teen Feed, the local homeless youth dinner program. It was called Homelessness 101. I think we were both impressed with how much we learned about being on the streets. I mean, much of it was obvious, like horrible home lives, drug abuse, mental problems, rebellion, rejection - all of those things. But then again, a few things I never thought of. For instance, the issue with getting an ID. I mean, if you lose your ID or get it stolen, and you have no proof of who you are, there are all these complications that arise. You can't get a job, a loan, sign a lease, open a bank account, or even be admitted to a majority of shelters, due to the BECCA bill. It can take 6 to 10 months to get all the documentation necessary to get the state to furnish you with an ID card. And after that - trying to get a job when you have little idea what day it even is, or you have to bring in your bag with all you own in it with you, or you haven't showered for a while (at least not since you and your friends scraped together enough money to sleep in a Motel 6 room for a night, quite the luxury).

There's also a video, "Kids on the Ave". It's quite a good documentary from 1996. Check it out, all of you.

Next post, I will talk about the awesome Dane Cook show that I saw on Monday night.

back to the laundry.

No comments: