15.5.05

So - the Shins concert. It was great. I had the most fun... I guess I'd forgotten how much fun big concerts can be. I guess the last time I'd been to one with a "mosh" pit was the Maroon 5 concert last year. This one was even crazier, especially toward the end, with lots of crowd surfing and jumping around. I knew all of the songs from "Oh, Inverted World" and "Chutes Too Narrow", so it was fun to sing along to them, even though I had to be careful to save my voice for my gig on the following day. The Shins also covered some song (I think it was "Strange Magic"), they played a new one, and they played one of their older songs from the "Nature Bears a Vacuum" EP, which I've heard but I don't know the words to, so I wasn't tempted to waste my voice on any of those songs. There were a few sucky parts of the concert, none of which were the fault of the Shins... first, we waited a long time in a hot, sticky crowd of bodies to see them. Once they finally came on, Ashley decided she wasn't going to make it through the night in the mosh pit, so she got out. I admit, it was more than a little oxygen-deprived but once the Shins got into their set, it was awesome and there was no turning back. The other really dumb thing that happened was the small circle of frat boys who sweet-talked their way past these two girls and then called them names behind their backs, and then proceeded to talk on their phones to get this one other girl to come over to them who was "totally worth it" because she was "soooo hot". It was distracting and rude, and I really wanted to grab the idiot's cell phone and hurl it out of the pit. Instead, I jumped around more and sang the lyrics really loud so as to be equally distracting and annoying. I think it worked. Eventually, the crowd shifted so I was away from them. Still, though. What jerks.

Also, the Brunettes, a band from New Zealand that opened for the Shins, were great, and I would like to see them again. I've got their stuff downloaded now.

Our own gig at the Trabant Chai Lounge went pretty smoothly. A few songs were not up to snuff, but I think that we will know exactly what to work on for our gig coming up next week. (It's at Ian's at 9 PM SHARP!!) We even acquired a groupie, who showed up late but wants to catch the rest of our set. We really need to set up an e-mail list or a website at least. But since we're not going to be a group for much longer, there's not really much point. Oh well.

The Senate played last night after us, and they were magnificent as usual. They played some new songs and some old favorites. They'll be playing again on the 28th at Ian's Domain, a concert which I shall surely attend if I'm not off hiking or something.

Must go study now for my bio midterm, because I've been out of the homework loop for about 3 days now, what with the Cinco de Mayo make-up celebration on Thursday, the Shins on Friday and the concert last night. Later fellas!

No comments: