23.10.05

internet's being slow again.

Classes here are impossible to figure out. Nothing's online, all the courses are listed in a book that I had to buy at the bookstore. I found some that I want to take, but they only list the professor and the time. No description, and, more importantly, no classroom. There are no email addresses for the professors. Luckily, the classes I'm taking don't require registration - but I do have to contact the professor and ask in advance if he will write me a "Schein" at the end of the course. If s/he allows me this, I have to go in and take a small test of the professor's choosing - oral, written, or a project - and that will determine my grade for the ENTIRE SEMESTER.

It all makes me wish I could take UW classes here. It's so much easier to find the classes you need, and enroll in them. (Well, the system is set up for it better. No promises on actually getting a spot in the class you want...)

Some of the kids from the California program get to take classes through that. I am uber-jealous. But I know taking actual university classes will be more enriching and interesting for me as a person... and more fulfilling.

Also, getting credits to transfer is a pain in the butt.

Don't think that I'm not excited to be starting classes again. It's been a long summer (from June 10th-ish to Oct. 24th is a long time! Over 4 months), and I'm ready to feel like I'm accomplishing something again. It's just... the start of the semester can be painful.

Well, I'm going to work on this whole class thing for a bit, as it is important. Then I think I'm going to Onkel tonight for their free showing of "Mona Lisa Smile" in German. We'll have to go early if we hope to get a spot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kyla, maybe it isn't that the system sucks but that you are used to the one in the US. Maybe when you find out what to do it will end up being easier.... well... loooove you!